How to Cure Wheezing in Infants
Does your infant make a whistling kind of noise often while breathing? If yes, then it’s a common problem, and most kids do wheeze at least once, specifically in this age group. A wheeze sometimes may scare you, yet you need not worry. You have to follow some simple home remedies to cure. Look carefully before implementing them.
Home Remedies to Cure Wheezing for your Child
The following are some simple habits that will help you relieve your child’s wheezing habit:
Massage with Mustard Oil
Mustard oil is a trusted and effective home remedy for many infants’ issues. One such point is wheezing. You might be thinking, how does it help?
Well, mustard oil helps relieve your infant’s breathing, clears their mildly choked respiratory tract and even improves blood circulation. But how to massage?
- Just take camphor and one or two teaspoons of mustard oil
- Mildly heat the Mustard Oil and add a bit of Camphor to it
- When the camphor disappears, it has dissolved, so you can then massage your little one’s chest with some mustard oil for as long as 10-12 minutes.
- Make sure not to use excess oil or camphor.
Repeat this practice at least 2-3 times a day to help alleviate your child’s wheezing.
Use a Raw Onion
Onions are rich in sulphuric acid, making them a powerful ingredient against infections. Besides, it even clears your child’s respiratory tract, which will alleviate wheezing. But how to implement it?
Peel an onion, cut it into pieces and then grind it well. Mix the ground onion in your baby’s food if he’s older than six months. Else, if he’s below six months, then keep onions near their bed but not much close to them. It should be at least 15 cm away.
Give Them a Steam Bath
Steam Bath helps alleviate wheezing as it acts as a natural humidifier. It helps your child get rid of mucus and even clear their choked, respiratory tracts.
Take mild hot water as babies have sensitive skin. Add a few drops of Eucalyptus oil to it. Now, could you bath them using that water? But implement it only once a day.
Some Preventive Measures to Follow
You might have heard, “prevention is better than cure.” It is the situation with your child’s wheezing also. Besides curing it, you also need to ensure that they do not face them again due to any negligence. Some of the preventive measures to do so are as follows:
- Ensure that your child is in a well-ventilated room and gets enough space to breathe; otherwise, they won’t get enough oxygen to breathe
- Your baby should be in an environment that’s free from pathogens. This will keep them safe from infections
- Ensure that your child does not have a cold or flu, as it might be wheezing
The Final Word
Wheezing is a common issue amongst children. However, it might also indicate a severe problem, and in such cases, you need to consult a pediatrician. Like if your child’s wheezing is not cured despite following the practices, or they may have an irritation in the chest, they may be dehydrated or, in some cases, may develop flushed skin.